Saturday 8 August 2015

Christian Benteke challenges Tim Sherwood over his suitability for playing at Liverpool


The 24-year-old Belgian has also
dismissed suggestions his
goalscoring end to last season was
due to Sherwood’s influence. Benteke
says it was simply "good timing" the
Villa manager took the job as the
striker returned to full fitness.
In trying to convince Benteke to stay
at Villa Park, Sherwood argued he was
building a side to get the most out of
the Belgian - suggesting that will not
be the case on Merseyside.
“There’s no point going to a club
where they don’t cross the ball,”
Sherwood said before Benteke's
transfer. “We cross more balls into
the box than any other club in the
league and Christian has said that he
feeds off crosses.”
• How Liverpool could line up this
season
That has prompted a response from
Benteke.
“I don’t believe that and I told him,”
said Benteke. “I spoke with him and I
explained to him the situation. I said
football has changed and the football
now is modern and I can adapt. It is
not just about crossing.
"I can score normal goals, too. I told
him I am not afraid about it. If
Liverpool bought me, then they know
how to use me. That is why I came
here - to show I can play with my feet,
too.”

Benteke is frustrated his form at the
end of last season, when he scored
eight goals in six games to steer Villa
from relegation, has been credited to
Sherwood’s man-management rather
than his contribution.
“People don’t understand. It was a bit
frustrating. It was like I had never
been injured,” said Benteke.
“He (Sherwood) came in at a good
time, at a time when I was getting fit
and getting better, so it was like a
good time for both of us. It was the
right time for him and for me. Ok, he
helped me a lot but I had been injured
for a long time and I was getting back
to what I could do.
"It was just a question of time. With
Paul Lambert it was hard because I
had just come back and had to help
the team. We were struggling, and
when Tim came I was feeling better
than before.”

Liverpool’s lack of firepower was
debilitating last season, and Benteke
will be under immediate pressure to
solve the most obvious problem in
Rodgers’ line-up .
“I knew if I joined a big club I would
have some pressure, so I am ready for
this challenge,” said Benteke.
“The pressure will bring the best out
of me. The money is high, but even if
it was less when you join a big club
there is pressure so I just have to deal
with it.
“It is an honour to get this number
(the number nine), but because I am a
striker it is also normal to get it.
'I've proved that I'm not a bad player'
“I don’t want to be arrogant but since
I came to England I proved I wasn’t a
bad player. Now it is a different
situation, a different pressure. It is
the pressure to be at the top and with
Villa it was the pressure of not to go
down. I believe whatever level I play I
will score. I believe I can produce the
goals.”


The Telegraph

No comments:

Post a Comment